The Commissioner for Licensing is appointed by the Minister under the Liquor Licensing Act 1990.
The Commissioner is responsible for:
- administering applications for licences and permits;
- ensuring people are qualified to hold a liquor licence or liquor permit;
- the determination of liquor licence applications in accordance with the Liquor Licensing Act 1990 , making decisions that are in the best interest of the community;
- transferring liquor licences from one person to another;
- issuing interim authorities for people to act as licensees;
- issuing liquor permits;
- administering surrendered liquor licences or permits; and
- cancelling or suspending liquor permits and licences.