Apply for a Liquor Licence, Transfer and Permit

New Applicants

Apply for a Liquor Licence

For businesses and organizations that are generally seeking to sell liquor on a regular daily basis. For example hotels, bars, cafes and restaurants, wholesalers, bottle shops, delicatessens, tourist business operators, larger sporting clubs.

There are five types of liquor licence: general, club, on, off, and special.

Apply for a Special Permit

Generally applicable where the sale of liquor is on an occasional basis or for a specific function. Permits are generally issued to not for profit organizations holding fundraising, social or sporting activities or a business conducting a major event such as a concert.

A special permit authorises the sale of liquor on premises when normally no other authority for the sale of liquor has been issued. There are four types of special permit based on the amount of time a permit is required:

  • up to four days;
  • four to thirty days;
  • six months; and
  • twelve months.

Apply for a Special Permit (Club Permit)

This permit authorises a person to sell liquor on behalf of an incorporated sporting club for up to 15 hours per week.

Note: Applications to continue or extend existing liquor permits are treated as new applications

Apply for a Small Producer's Permit

A small producer's permit allows Tasmanian craft and boutique liquor producers to sell their liquor at more than one event during the period of the permit.

Existing Licence Holders

Apply for an Out-of-Hours Permit

An out-of-hours permit authorises the sale of liquor on licensed premises for periods between midnight and 5 am.

Apply to Transfer a Liquor Licence

A liquor licence holder may transfer his or her licence to another person once approved by the Commissioner for Licensing.

Apply for an On or Off Permit 

Application for an On or Off Permit associated with a Liquor Licence (204Kb) 

Apply for an Interim Authority to act as Licensee

An interim authority to act as licensee authorises a person to act as licensee where the current licensee is unable or unwilling to exercise the authority of the licence.

Apply to alter a Licensed Premises

A licensee may alter the area of the licensed premises once approved by the Commissioner for Licensing.

Apply to Vary the Conditions of a Licence

 Application and Information leaflet for Variation of Conditions of a Licence   (296Kb)


Back Home