Apply for a Special Liquor Permit

There are four types of special permit based on the amount of time a permit is required:

  • up to four days;
  • four to thirty days;
  • six months; and
  • twelve months.

A special permit can only be held by a person who is at least 18 years old. The permit is issued to the person who applies on behalf of an association, society, organisation, club or other bona fide body running the event or function.

A special permit authorises the sale of liquor on premises where there is no existing authority. The Commissioner for Licensing may grant a permit if satisfied that the principal purpose of the function is not the sale or consumption of liquor and that this is incidental to the event, and if satisfied that it is reasonable to grant the permit.

A special permit does not authorise liquor to be sold on premises if the use of those premises for that purpose is otherwise unlawful.

If liquor is being provided by way of an entry fee into a function, a cost per glass or pre-sold tickets then it is considered that liquor is being sold and a special permit will need to be obtained. A special permit is not required for private functions such as weddings or birthdays where the liquor is provided by the host at his/her own expense. If a function is "BYO only" generally a liquor permit is not required.

Any application for a special permit should be lodged at least 7 days prior to commencement.

Applications with less than 7 days notice may not be assessed or granted.

Special Permit (Club Permit)

A special permit (Club Permit) authorises the sale of liquor on the premises of an incorporated sporting club for a period up to 15 hours per week. It is issued primarily for the social enjoyment of club members. 

The hours for the sale of liquor are set six monthly, beginning 1 October and 1 April each year to coincide with the football and cricket seasons.

In addition to the 15 hours permitted trading per week, clubs may apply for extra hours for additional club only functions and significant or extraordinary events by applying for a special permit. 


Small Producer's Permit

A small producer's permit allows Tasmanian craft and boutique liquor producers to sell their liquor at more than one event during the period of the permit.

A permit is granted for 12 months covering the approved events detailed in the initial application. During that time, should the permit holder wish to sell liquor at a new event, they must notify the Commissioner (via email to at least seven days before the event is held, seeking approval for the sale of liquor at that event.

Written confirmation from the Commissioner for Licensing is required for each event at which the Small Producer wishes to sell liquor.

Events include farmer's markets, community festivals, food festivals and agricultural shows.