The Department of Treasury and Finance is responsible to the Treasurer, Hon Michael Ferguson MP.
Treasury provides the Government with objective advice on the economic and financial management of the State. Treasury also implements Government policies and programs, and performs analysis, monitoring and reporting functions on behalf of the Government.
Treasury undertakes various activities, including:
- monitoring and analysing trends in economic conditions and forecasting economic parameters for Tasmania;
- preparing and monitoring the State Budget, managing the Public Account and providing advice on financial and resource management in the public sector;
- monitoring and providing advice on the performance and management of Government businesses;
- managing the Government's office accommodation portfolio, insurable risks of agencies, property sales and whole-of-government procurement;
- providing policy advice on regulatory and financial issues, intergovernmental financial relations, and State taxation issues and collection; and
- supporting the Tasmanian Economic Regulator, the State Grants Commission, the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission, the Commissioner for Licensing, the Commissioner of State Revenue and the Superannuation Commission to carry out their statutory, regulatory and integrity functions.