The Government is committed to continuing its established process of strong engagement with the Tasmanian Community.
Community consultation is an important part of the annual Budget development process. Input from the community into this process is highly valued by the Government. The consultation process provides all Tasmanians with the opportunity to have input into the Budget decisions which shape the delivery of services to our community.
While Ministers and Government agencies meet with community groups and individuals on a wide range of issues on a continuous basis, this process provides a specific opportunity for input to the 2020-21 Budget development process.
To ensure the 2020-21 Budget community consultation process encompasses the diversity of issues faced by the Tasmanian community, consultation will occur in two phases:
- consultation with specific peak non-government organisations and community groups; and
- open consultation with the broader community.
Direct contact will be made with specific peak non government organisations and community groups, inviting these organisations to make a submission to the 2020-21 Budget community consultation process.
Advertisements were placed in the three major Tasmanian newspapers on Saturday 26 October 2019 seeking written submissions from the Tasmanian community.
All community groups and individuals can make submissions to the process.
When are submissions due?
Written submissions are due to the Department of Treasury and Finance by Friday 6 December 2019.
Who will read my submission?
The Department of Treasury and Finance will coordinate the collection of all community consultation submissions and then provide these submissions to the appropriate agencies and Ministers for consideration. Agencies and Ministers may then seek to discuss these submissions with you or your organisation to allow an opportunity to clarify or expand any of the information contained within your submission.
What should I include in my submission?
Issues which may be addressed in the body of the written submission include:
- the environment in which you or your organisation currently operates, including issues you face on a day to day basis;
- identification of services that you or your organisation considers should be a high priority for the Government;
- links between identified priorities and the Government’s long-term Plan for Tasmania’s future;
- identification of instances where Government goods and services could be delivered more effectively. That is, in a better way, or more successfully;
- identification of instances where Government goods and services could be delivered more efficiently, or in a more timely manner; and
- identification of options for the funding of goods and services.
The information included in the body of your submission should provide supporting details, information, and discussion in relation to any recommendations. This will assist readers in gaining a good understanding of why the issue is important to you or your organisation.
How do I provide my submission?
Please forward your submission to the Department of Treasury and Finance.
Postal Address: GPO Box 147 Hobart TAS 7001
For any general enquires in relation to the process please contact Dana Faletic on (03) 6166 4144.