​​​​​​​​​​​​Automatic mutual recognition for occupational licences

​​If you are licensed and/or registered to perform your job, you may now be able to work across states and territories without needing to:

  • apply; or
  • pay a fee for a second licence.

The automatic mutual recognition (AMR) scheme allows you to use your current licence or registration to do the same activities in another part of Australia.

If you are not eligible for AMR, the current mutual recognition arrangements remain unchanged.

AMR now applies to a wide range of licensed occupations in Tasmania

AMR is available in Tasmania as well as Victoria, New South Wales, South Australia, Western Australia, Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory.

AMR commenced in Tasmania on 22 December 2021. At this time, the scheme was only available for a limited number of occupations across the participating states and territories. 

AMR applies to a wide range of licensed occupations across participating states and territories. Tasmania has exempted AMR from applying to some occupations. However, it is expected that they will become part of the scheme over time. 


Interstate workers from a participating state or territory can now work in Tasmania if they are licensed for a wide range of occupations. A list of the occupations within the AMR scheme in Tasmania can be found here. This list will be updated as more occupational licences are included in the scheme over time.

This list has been compiled based on advice from the relevant local regulatory authorities. We strongly recommend that you contact the relevant regulator for your occupation to confirm how AMR applies to your occupation and whether any additional requirements apply. ​

 The following occupations are currently exempt from the application of AMR until 1 July 2025:
  • Teacher
  • Security-sensitive Dangerous Substances (SSDS) Permit
  • Responsible Worker status
  • High Risk Work Licence (HRWL) Assessor
The following occupations are currently exempt from the application of AMR until 1 July 2026:
  • Licensed Builder - General Construction - Open
  • Licensed Builder - General Construction - Medium Rise
  • Licensed Builder - General Construction - Low Rise
  • Licensed Builder - General Construction - Domestic​

Licensed workers from Tasmania can use their Tasmanian licence interstate to work in certain occupations.

To find out if your Tasmanian licence or registration can be used in other states or territories, check that state or territory's website.

You can't take part in this scheme if you:

  • are disqualified or suspended from carrying on the occupation or have been refused a licence for that occupation;
  • are subject to disciplinary, civil or criminal action and know that you are under investigation; or
  • have conditions placed on your substantive licence as a result of disciplinary or court action.

To work across the participating states and territories, you must be registered in your home state or territory to undertake the activities you intend to carry out in a second state or territory.

Depending on your occupation, you may need to meet additional requirements. You may need to:

  • notify the relevant local registration authority of your intention to work;
  • meet and maintain financial public protection requirements (such as, insurance, fidelity funds, trust accounts, minimum financial requirements); and/or
  • satisfy and maintain a working with vulnerable people character test.

You must comply with the laws of the state or territory where you are working.

If you do not comply with state or territory laws or licence conditions, your entitlement to work interstate under the AMR scheme can be suspended or cancelled. Your home state or territory licence or registration can also be suspended or cancelled.

For more information

A user guide has been developed to provide more information on the AMR scheme (and other mutual recognition schemes).​

The information provided on this page in relation to occupations within scope of AMR is based on advice from the relevant local registration authorities. We recommend you contact the relevant registration authority to confirm how AMR applies to your occupation and whether any additional requirements apply. The following regulators have information specific to AMR available on their websites:

Alternatively, you can contact:

Economic Policy Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
GPO Box 147
Email: economic.reform@treasury.tas.gov.au

​​This page will be updated as other jurisdictions join the AMR scheme and/or when AMR applies to more occupations in Tasmania.


Back Home