Special Employee's and Technician's licence

​​​​​Employees working in the gaming industry are required to hold the appropriate licence and, in some cases, undertake prescribed training courses.  There are different licence categories, depending on the type of work you will be undertaking in the gaming industry: ​

​​​​Licence Categories

Licensed Premises Gaming Operative - to work in a hotel or club operating keno or gaming machines

Casino Operative of Casino Security  - to work in a casino

Statewide Gaming Operative -  to work for a gaming or wagering operator, such as Network Gaming or Tabcorp

Technician - to install, maintain or repair gaming equipment, or undertake software / hardware development, testing and analysis for the purposes of gaming.  

​Licence D​​uties by Category

A list of the functions that can be undertaken by each licence category can be found here:

Prescribed duties for Special Employee's and Tec​hnician's 

Licence Co​​nd​​itions

Special Employees and Technicians must ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities as a licence holder. Information on the conditions that apply to these licences can be found here:

Conditions of a Special Employee's Licence

Conditions of a Technician's Licence 

Application​ In​​formation

100 points of certified identification MUST accompany your application. Suitable identification documents and the approved list of acceptable witnesses can be found here:

Additional information on the application process, can be found here:

  Special Employee or Technician Licen​ce Information Leaflet   (101Kb)


Training Requirements​​

You must complete training with Network Gaming prior to being issued with a Special Employee's Licence (this does not apply for Technicians or if you are employed at a casino). The contact details for Network Gaming are:

Phone (03) 6225 7994
Email - ngenrolments@networkgaming.com.au​ 

Apply ​​h​ere

Apply for a Special Employee's or Technicians’ Licence online​ 

Responsible Conduct of Ga​mbling 

It is a condition of every Special Employee's licence that the licence holder must undertake a Responsible Conduct of Gambling course approved by the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission. 

New licence holders are allowed three months from the date that their licence is issued to complete the course and provide a copy of the certificate to the Commission. Licence holders must ensure that they retake the course every five years from the date of certification and provide the new certificate before the expiry to avoid disciplinary action being taken against them.  

Information on how to undertake an approved Responsible Conduct of Gambling course can be found here: 

Responsible Conduct of Gambling​ 

​​​​Expiring Licences

​It is a licence holder's responsibility to ensure their licence is current whenever they are working. Where possible, renewal notices are sent to licence holders four weeks prior to the expiry of the licence.  Please contact the Liquor and Gaming Branch on (03) 6166 4040 or by email to gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au​ if you need to check your expiry date or update your address or any other contact details. 

To apply to renew your licence, please submit your application PRIOR to the expiry date. The link to the application form can be found here:

Renewing a Special Employee's or Technician's Licence

If you have previously held a Special Employee's or Technician's Licence that has since expired, you may apply online for a new licence. The link to the online application form can be found here:

Apply for a Special Employee's and Technician's Licence Online page

Replacement Licence

If you have misplaced your licence - please contact the Commission at: gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au - a fee to replace the licence may apply.

  Special Employee's and Technician's Licence replacement application   (198Kb)​​

Licence Upgr​ade 

If you change your duties as a special employee or technician, you may need to upgrade your licence. To apply for an upgrade, please complete the  application form below and forward it to the Commission at: gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au.   

  Upgrade Special Employee/Technician Licence application form   (123Kb)

A Licence upgrade is NOT required if you have undertaken Senior Writer or Gaming Machine Supervisor training and already hold a Special Employee’s Licence.​

Recognition of Interstate Gaming Licences

Under the Mutual Recognition Act 1992, the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission may be able to issue either a Special Employee's licence or a Technician's licence to any person who is currently licensed in another jurisdiction.

Pdf   Special Employee's Licence information leaflet on mutual recognition   (216Kb)​​

 ​Individuals seeking recognition of a licence from another jurisdiction must ensure that they understand and meet the requirements for Responsible Conduct of Gambling​ and Exclusions. For more information please contact the Liquor and Gaming Branch.