Future Gaming Market
As part of the Tasmanian Government's
The Future of Gaming in Tasmania (Future Gaming Market) policy, announced during the 2018 State election, the exclusivity arrangements under the Deed with the Federal Group to conduct casino operations, operate electronic gaming machines and conduct games of keno in Tasmania will end in 2023.
The aim of the Future Gaming Market policy is to:
- create a sustainable industry;
- provide the highest standards of probity;
- ensure returns from the gaming industry are shared appropriately among the industry, players and the Government representing the community; and
- continue to minimise harm caused by problem gambling.
There are a number of reforms for the gaming industry in Tasmania under the new model, including:
- a decrease in the State-wide cap for electronic gaming machines (EGMs) of 150;
- the creation of individual venue licences to operate EGMs in hotels and clubs;
- two new high roller non‑resident casino licences;
- more appropriate distribution of returns;
- tender of the rights to operate the monitoring of the hotel and club EGM network; and
- increased future funding to improve harm minimisation.
Legislative amendments will be required to the Gaming Control Act 1993 to implement the policy. The policy does not envisage changes to the Responsible Gambling Mandatory Code of Practice for Tasmania.
A paper providing details of the Future Gaming Market regulatory model that will implement the Government’s policy from 1 July 2023 was released in February for consultation, with responses due by 18 March 2020. It provided an opportunity for interested parties to consider and provide feedback on the new regulatory model. A copy of the consultation paper and related fact sheets are available at the links below.
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the Government announced on 28 March 2020 that the implementation of reforms to the gaming industry would be deferred and public release of submissions to the consultation paper would also be delayed.
Consultation Papers and Fact Sheets