Licences and permits

​​​​​​There are several kinds of gaming licences and permits in Tasmania, each authorising a different kind of gaming activity.

  • Venue Licence- this licence allows an entity to operate keno or keno and gaming machines in a licensed premises such as a hotel or club. Apply here for a venue licence.
  • Special Employee's or Technician's licence​:
    • A Special Employee's Licence allows an individual to work in a hotel or club operating keno or gaming machines.
    • A Technician's Licence is required to install, maintain or repair gaming equipment in Tasmania.
  • ​​Minor Gaming Permit​ - this permit is required for gaming activities conducted for the benefit of not-for-profit organisations or charitable purposes.
  • Foreign Games Permit ​- this permit is required to allow the selling of tickets in a game or lottery in Tasmania, where there is an approval for that game or lottery to be run in another jurisdiction.  The provider must be licensed to operate the game or lottery in another jurisdiction.
  • Tasmanian Gaming Licence - this allows the holder to conduct gaming activities including by means of a telecommunications device (such as internet gaming). Activities that fall under a Tasmanian Gaming Licence include sports betting, simulated gaming, betting exchange, race wagering, totalizator and major lotteries. The Gaming Control Act 1993 does not provide for the conduct in Tasmania of online poker, or any other internet based gaming activities apart from those listed above. As such, the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission cannot consider applications for a Tasmanian Gaming Licence for these games.
  • Roll of Recogniz​ed Manufacturers​ - individuals wishing to manufacture, sell or supply gaming machines, gaming machine games and gaming equipment, or service, repair, test or maintain gaming equipment, need to apply for listing on the Roll of Recognized Manufacturers, Suppliers and Testers of Gaming Equipment.
The Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission have exempted certain games from requiring approval.  These include tipping competitions, certain raffles and margin tickets.  For more information, see this fact sheet.


Back Home