Special Employee's and Technician's licence

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Employees working in the gaming industry are required to hold the appropriate licence and, in some cases, undertake prescribed training courses.  There are different licence categories, depending on the type of work you will be undertaking in the gaming industry: ​​
  • Licensed Premises Gaming Operative - to work in a hotel or club operating keno or gaming machines
  • Casino Operative of Casino Security  - to work in a casino
  • Statewide Gaming Operative -  to work for a gaming or wagering operator, such as Network Gaming or Tabcorp
  • Technician - to install, maintain or repair gaming equipment, or undertake software/hardware development, testing and analysis for the purposes of gaming.
The prescribed duties of each licence type are outlined: 

 Current prescribed duties May 2016 (PDF 48Kb)​

Quick Links

Special Employees and Technicians must ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities as a licence holder. Information on the conditions that apply to these licences can be found here:
Applicants are required to be 18 years of age or older.


Applications are assessed by the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission to determine the individual's suitability to be a licence holder.

New applicants must consent to having their fingerprints taken. Do not have your fingerprints taken unless asked to do so.​​ Fingerprints taken are destroyed upon licence expiry or application refusal.

Contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner if you believe you may be entitled to claim a right of non-disclosure in relation to offences.


Applications must include a colour passport sized photograph​. Photograph requirements provide guidance about how photographs must be taken in order to be accepted.

Responsible Conduct of Gambling 

It is a condition of every Special Employee's licence that the licence holder must undertake a Responsible Conduct of Gambling course approved by the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission. 

New licence holders are allowed three months from the date that their licence is issued to complete the course and provide a copy of the certificate to the Commission.

Licence holders must ensure that they retake the course every five years from the date of certification and provide a new certificate, before the licence expires to avoid disciplinary action being taken against them.

Expiring Licences

It is a licence holder's responsibility to ensure their licence is current whenever they are working. Where possible, renewal notices are sent to licence holders four weeks prior to the expiry of the licence.  Please contact the Liquor and Gaming Branch on (03) 6166 4040 or by email to gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au​ if you need to check your expiry date or update your address or any other contact details. 

To apply to renew your licence, please submit your application PRIOR to the expiry date. The link to the application form can be found here:

Renewing a Special Employee's or Technician's Licence​

If you have previously held a Special Employee's or Technician's Licence that has since expired, you may apply online for a new licence. The link to the online application form can be found here:

Apply for a Special Employee's and Technician's Licence Online page​

Replacement Licence

If you have misplaced your licence - please contact the Commission at: gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au - a fee to replace the licence may apply.

  Special Employee's and Technician's Licence replacement application   (198Kb)​​

Licence Upgrade
If you change your duties as a special employee or technician, you may need to upgrade your licence. To apply for an upgrade, please complete the  application form below and forward it to the Commission at: gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au.   

  Upgrade Special Employee/Technician Licence application form   (123Kb)

A Licence upgrade is NOT required if you have undertaken Senior Writer or Gaming Machine Supervisor training and already hold a Special Employee’s Licence.​

Automatic Mutual Recognition

From 1 July 2022, Automatic Mutual Recognition (AMR) applies to a wide range of licensed occupations across participating states and territories. This includes Special Employees and Technician's licences, operating within the gaming industry.

What do I need to do to work under AMR in Tasmania?

To work across the participating states and territories, you must be registered in your home state or territory to undertake the activities you intend to carry out in a second state or territory. You must contact the Tasmanian Liquor and Gaming Commission (gaming@treasury.tas.gov.au), to notify them of your intention to work in Tasmania. In this notification, you must include the state or territory you are currently licensed and your licence number. You must comply with the laws of the state or territory where you are working. In the gambling context, this means understanding and meeting the requirements for Responsible Conduct of Gambling and Exclusions.

What are the arrangements for Tasmanians wanting to work under AMR in other states and territories?

Licensed workers from Tasmania can use their Tasmanian licence interstate to work in certain occupations.

To find out if your Tasmanian licence or registration can be used in other states or territories, check that state or territory's website.

What happens if you don't comply with Tasmanian law or licence conditions?

Your entitlement to work interstate under the AMR scheme can be suspended or cancelled. Your home state or territory licence or registration can also be suspended or cancelled.

More information is available on the Automatic Mutual Recognition page.


Back Home