Who we are
The Retirement Benefits Fund (RBF) has managed super for Tasmanian public sector employees since 1904, providing superannuation administration and member services to Tasmanian public sector employees and their spouses who hold a defined benefit account or pension.
The trustee of the Fund is the Superannuation Commission (Commission), which was established effective 1 April 2017 to oversee the administration of the public sector defined benefit schemes in Tasmania.
The day to day running of the defined benefit schemes is managed by the Office of the Superannuation Commission, within the Department of Treasury and Finance.
The primary responsibility of the Office of the Superannuation Commission is to provide high level support to the Commission in undertaking its statutory functions under:
- the Public Sector Superannuation Reform Act 2016,
- the Public Sector Superannuation Reform Regulations 2017,
- and the Public Sector Superannuation Reform (Parliamentary Superannuation) Regulations 2016.
The Commission undertakes a range of activities to provide member services and solutions, manage investments and finance and provide product operational support. The Commission is also responsible for the administration of the Fund, which is comprised of all of the assets, including investments, accounts and sub funds, of the Retirement Benefits Fund.
RBF offers face to face service and timely, accurate and helpful information to members about their benefits and options.
RBF consists of the following schemes:
- Contributory Scheme;
- State Fire Commission Superannuation Scheme;
- Tasmanian Ambulance Service Superannuation Scheme;
- Parliamentary Superannuation Fund; and
- Parliamentary Retiring Benefits Fund.
Membership is subject to the governing rules of the schemes.
Our values and behaviours provide us with a shared sense of purpose and support us in our day to day working lives.
Integrity ... as it builds confidence, trust and self-respect, and is the foundation of open and honest communication;
Excellence ... as it challenges us to give our best and brings us recognition;
Respect ... as it recognises the value of each of us and the contribution we all make;
Camaraderie ... as it creates a fun and supportive place to be; and
Passion ... as it inspires us to achieve great things.
Our mission is:
To improve the well-being of Tasmanians
- high quality advice to the Government; and
- effective and efficient administration of our financial and regulatory responsibilities.